Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rainy Day Ponderings

Posted on 12:25 PM by follow me


Lately I've been struggling. Honestly, I don't feel much like blogging. I think that 10 months in this rental has taken a toll on me. You see, I love to fluff my nest more than anything in this world. I love to cook and clean and organize and decorate and just generally take care of my home and family. Those tasks are very limited here. I imagine that is why I have been knitting like a maniac these last several months. It's something domestic I can still do and enjoy in these temporary quarters. I'm just feeling so impatient to get out of here and get back to my regularly scheduled life.

Oddly enough, this brings me to a topic near and dear to my heart, being a homemaker. It's a subject  I have wanted to write about for a long time but I have hesitated because I know how strongly people feel about this topic. I feel strongly about it myself.

Many of you homemaker's will understand what I mean when I say that I hate the question "What do you do?" It seems like a simple question, but the reality is that in our society what this question often means is, what is your worth as a human being? Well, I'm a Homemaker and if you judge according to the paycheck I receive at the end of the week, then I imagine you think my worth is very low. Luckily that is not how I calculate my value. I don't stay home because I'm lazy. Or selfish. It's about our quality of life, what we think is best for our family. What's best for you and your family may be completely different.

We happily make sacrifices to live this way. I don't apologize for this choice. Would things be easier financially for us if I went back to work? I don't believe they would. We could buy more stuff but that isn't what's important to us. Our quality of life is what we base our decisions on.

I imagine there will always be people in my life that are concerned about the fact that I don't have a paying job. We've been fielding inquiries on this topic for years from those concerned people. They don't understand that this is my career choice. Not everyone has this choice and some wouldn't choose it if they could. I get that. But it is my choice and one I'm very happy with.

No Response to "Rainy Day Ponderings"

Leave A Reply

Popular Posts